Sunday, April 18, 2010

Abby & My Morning Demeanor

Another affect Abby had on me was on my morning time demeanor. I am not a morning person. I’m slow to wake up and snooze as long as possible until I drag myself out of bed. I don’t like people looking me in the eye in an early hour and definitely don’t like someone trying to have meaningful conversation with me in the morning either. I’m not so grumpy that I won’t talk at all in the morning, but I would prefer the conversation to be lite and non-indulging such as topics on the traffic, sports or the weather. My family knows this and respects my wishes as best they can. I’ve had to train my co-workers to adhere to this quirk of mine as well.

One morning my cousin, Christy, was visiting my mom. Abby at this stage was big enough to get in and out of bed by herself, so she would often get out of bed before me to visit my mom and Father, go outside to the bathroom and to eat—all this while I was still sleeping. On this morning, Abby had already made it to the living room. After I awoke, I made my way to the kitchen when I saw Abby in the corner of my eye in the living room. My face lit up and I chortled “Hay Abby, how are you baby girl?” Unbeknownst to me, my cousin, too, was in the living room.

I could tell by the look on her face that she was confused and surprised by the way I reacted to Abby. She commented that she didn’t think I could smile in the morning. She also said that I should have gotten a lab many years ago by the way Abby made me so happy. How could I not be so happy whenever I greeted my sunshine angel beauty queen in the morning? Often when I would wake up in the morning, I’d say to Abby when she was a puppy “It’s a bebe day!” (Bebe rhymes with Phoebe and was one of my many nicknames for Abby.)

No comments:

Post a Comment