Saturday, July 3, 2010

Nicknames

I have or had many many nicknames for the babies. For many of them, I had no idea how those names were generated, but on others, there is a story behind it and I may discuss it in detail in a later entry. Of course these nicknames sound even nuttier when heard in person when I use a singy-songy voice in addressing the babies.

Abby’s registered name was “Lady Abbe of Longview” while Andy’s was “Sir Andrew of Longview.” My mom named Abby after her mom who was called Abby when she was growing up, which in itself was a nickname. My grandmother’s maiden name was Abbott, so they called her Abby for short. Andy was named after a cartoon character popular in the middle of the 20th century, Andy Panda.

And for the record, the real way to spell Abby’s name was ‘Abbe’. It was my mom’s idea to spell it like that and annoyed the hell out of me. I refuse to spell it that way and use ‘Abby’ instead.


Here is a list of the nicknames for the babies. I may have forgotten a few, so I might update this list later.

Abby

Baby Girl
Baby
Sunshine
Sunshine Angel Beauty Queen
Lala
Angel
Sweety
Bebe
Hottentots
Curly girl
Tippy tips
Tummy

Andy

Baby boy
Andy Pandy
Baby
Rooty toot toot tootily tootily toot toot toot
Rooty
Tooty
Rooty toot toot
Bingbing
Mr. Bing
Little man
Cutie
Cute patootie
Man about it
Man
Mandy
Patootie
Pandy please no
Pandy please
Skinny man
Skinny


Dodo

Twit bird
Dee dee dow dow
Dee dee
Dody
Bird
Doe (rhymes w/ go)

Father

Mr. Mew mew
Good boy
Toy boy
Mew mew

2 comments:

  1. Kayla's nicknames:
    Kayla-Bayla/Bayla-Bayla
    Kay-Bay
    Bay
    Bear
    Boo
    Boo Bear
    Bayla Bear
    Pup-a-Dup
    Puppy/Pup
    Chee-Chee

    No.freaking.idea. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how these nicknames often have rhyming words or words that come in 'pairs.'

    ReplyDelete