Friday, August 5, 2011

The 16' Retractable Leash


This is about the first time I used a long, retractable leash with the Babies. Yes, I’m one of those assholes who had those leashes extending from one end of the block to the other. And I don’t give a crap what anyone thinks. Those leashes made walking two big dogs much easier. They had more freedom to move around. It gave them some privacy and space when they used the bathroom. They had more room to explore on the grounds by the sidewalk. Granted, I do not suggest using such leashes for every dog. If a dog is too unmanageable and uncontrollable, another type of leash should be chosen in place of these long retractable ones.

The first time I used one with the Babies was during our evening walk. I still used the choke collar I had used with the shorter leashes. I kept the leash at about 3 or 4 feet at first. The Babies didn’t notice anything different initially. We made our way down the hall and out front to the sidewalk. I still kept the leash at a short distance. When we got to the intersection, we stopped at the light. I thought we’d try out the extension on the way across the street. About halfway across the street, I un-clicked the lock so the leash could freely extend. Immediately, I could feel the separation between me and the Babies. In tandem, their little legs start to speed up as they realized their new found freedom. They kept hustling until the leash went as far as they could go. It was as if the Babies were thinking “We’re free!!”

They didn’t question or balk at their new roaming abilities. They explored and sniffed around at things they had not experienced before. I quickly learned how to retract the leash such as when I needed to keep close control over the Babies. I tended to shorten the leash when on the sidewalks but extend it inside the park.

Those leashes were worth every penny I spent on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment