Wednesday, February 16, 2011

From the Annals of Passive Aggresiveness


I'm a sucker for passive aggressiveness, being a lifelong smartass myself. I think of passive aggressiveness as sarcasm's kissing cousin. The other day in contracts I came across a fine example of passive aggressiveness and it made me smile. The case was Price v. OK College of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery.




A college offered to renew a faculty member's contract for one year at $47,117/yr. The faculty member signed the offer and returned it. But under his signature was a hand written note: "Signed under protest that salary does not reflect guarantees under present and past Personnel Policies and that proper evaluation procedures were not followed."



The school said it wasn't an acceptance and terminated the guy. Wow, those academic types can be pricks. I would have paid money to listen in on the arguments this guy had with his fellow staff members. He sounds like a piece of work. I admire his gumption and thought his little note was funny.



The court said there was indeed a contract and the school couldn't back out now.



That's how you stick it to the man!

No comments:

Post a Comment