Thursday, May 24, 2012

Random Thought From Childhood:
Moon Covered in Snow



When I was a kid, I thought the moon was covered in snow. The moon is white;snow is white. It made perfect sense to me. Further, I thought the moon was a fun place to visit since it was covered in snow. After all, during snow-days in grade school, I always had a good time. The moon looked like a big playground.

Fortunately, I kept this strange thought to myself. And I was able to figure out quickly that the moon was not covered with snow, or at least on the light-side. On the light-side, the moon is well over the boiling point of water. So, I was able to figure out that the whiteness I saw on the moon was not snow.

But I wasn't totally let down. I was still intrigued by the moon because gravity there is 1/6th what it is on Earth. I thought since people would be so light on the moon, jumping on the moon would be like jumping on a trampoline.

No comments:

Post a Comment