Sunday, January 2, 2011

A New Job, Part II

During my time in Raleigh while interviewing, other than my getting the job, nothing went well for me.


1) I had a gall bladder attack. The night before the interview, I had an interview dinner with some GSK people. I had foods with a lot of fat in it like fried calamari. Later that night, my stomach started hurting, felt distended and I threw up. I seriously thought about postponing the interview, but I came this far and felt the job was mine to lose. I went to a doctor a couple of days later, and he said it was gastroenteritis—fancy doctor talk for a stomach ache. It was more than that. A few months later, my stomach still hurt and I was still feverish. I fucking hate having to self-diagnose. Oh well, not all doctors made A’s.

2) A cousin of mine who was 44 died suddenly and unexpectedly.

3) I would see Father for the last time. My mom said he had been spending little time at home. He would stay away for days at a time. When I came to Raleigh, he came home for the first time in days. He was happy to see me. He was bouncing and hopping around when he saw me. Later the next night, he wanted to go out. I opened the side door and let him out. He walked out into the night and I never saw him again. Maybe he was hit by a car. Possibly he was shot. My mom said she heard gunfire a couple of nights later. This may sound like hyperbole but the crime rate in our side of town is somewhat high. It’s not out of the question that someone would shoot a dog; after all, people are shot around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment